Saturday, May 26, 2012

Don't let the bed bugs bite!

I only thought it was a saying!  Never really knew bed bugs were real.  In all my life I have never had to deal with them until now.  Just when I thought we were a out of the woods for trials we are facing, another one comes to take it's place.

Elyssa and I have been receiving bites during the night.  I went online to see if I could understand what kind of bug had invaded our home.  The pictures that in found of bites bed bugs left didn't seem like the ones that we had received.  So I thought that they might be dust mites.  So I did some cleaning on their room, washed her sheets.  The next morning her arm was riddled with bites.


Monday, we discovered bed bugs that have been living in our home.  Elyssa, told me that she saw a bug move on her bed, so I went to inspect it and found dots.  Later to find out that they were bed bug droppings.  Searching more on her bed, I found a bed bug.

I am thinking that we have caught this invasion early, since I haven't found a lot.  I've been doing a whole lot of deep cleaning on their room and ours.  Using a steamer to kill any bugs and eggs that might be on their bed and closed up all the screw holes with wood putty.  Mikaela and Taliah have received a couple bites.  I'm thinking that they don't like Steven's blood.  He is the only one that hasn't gotten bit, unless they are but not leaving marks.  There are blood stains on his side of the bed, where he must be killing them by laying on them.

You can kill them by high temperatures, so the amount of laundry I want to clean is huge.  Just to be on the safe side.  This is stressful for the girls, because I have to spend so much time cleaning, they have to play by themselves.  Steven is not feeling well enough to help out.  It is also stressful when I start throwing away some of their items that would be to hard to clean.  After I did a whole lot of cleaning, Taliah wanted to cuddle close to me.  I didn't want her to touch me, because of all the bugs that might be on me.

Even though I have been doing a lot of deep cleaning, am I really helping get rid of them.  If I clean most of the day, and then possibly have eggs or little bed bugs on my clothing while cleaning am I just moving them around?  I have not let Elyssa and Mikaela sleep in their own beds for almost a week now.  They are sleeping on the living room floor in sleeping bags.  The good news is they aren't receiving any bites.  Cleaned the bedding in Taliah's room, vacuumed around the bed and thankfully don't see any sign of bed bugs.

Sleeping at night is hard, I lay awake and feel the itches that come after the bites.  One night I was half awake and felt one on me and screamed and hit it.  Poor Steven was woken up by me screaming.  The next night Steven prayed and I didn't receive any bug bites.  What is God teaching us through this time?

I feel like we are trapped in our home.  I don't want friends to come and help out us out with the girls or help clean our home, because they might get infested.  Church family and friends offered to wash laundry before we found the bed bugs, I still need the help but not going to ask for it.  Can I go to church and not infect others?  Am I just being too paranoid?

Oh God, please help us get through this trial!  I pray that all of the blessings that we received with friends helping and taking care of the girls in their homes, will not get these bed bugs.  Please help us God!

 



1 comment:

J said...

Found this interesting article, this is part of it.

Got Bed Bugs? Here’s what you can do to avoid spreading them during the holiday season
Published on December 9th, 2011 by mohammed

By Dr. Mohammed El Damir
Adam’s Pest Control, Inc

Although it has never been proven that bed bugs can transmit infectious pathogens, their bites can impact people’s quality of life, especially in sensitive people and people who have had bad experiences with them in the past. These individuals usually feel overwhelmed, violated, and anxious. Subsequently, they develop sleeplessness, anxiety, delusions, panic or even depression. This usually leads to social consequences, such as isolation and loneliness as they are afraid of being spreading bed bugs all over the places, especially to the beloved ones.