Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Nadir Visit and More

Steven had his nadir visit on Thursday.  Where we found out he is very anemic.  Since he is so young they gave him the option of a blood transfusion or just waiting for his body to produce the blood on its own.  He just wanted to feel better, so agreed to do a blood transfusion the following day.  He didn't go to work the week of chemo and then the week after, because he was feeling very weak.  He had to make sure he didn't get up to fast, had shortness of breath, and his heart was beating really fast.

Thursday evening we took him to St. Marks Hospital, where the transfusion was to take place on the following day.  They drew his blood, so they could match it to a donor.  Friday, we came back to the hospital for the transfusion.  Steven got a small room, for the blood transfusion which lasted about five hours.  He received two units of blood.  The girls wanted to stay with him in his room, so we all stayed and spent the day with him.

Since he received the two units of blood, his body will have to produce the rest.  Praying that he will have no ill affects due to receiving blood.  I have not had peace at all about him getting a blood transfusion.  All the time during chemo, even not really knowing what to expect God gave me a peace. 

Pray for memory loss!  Up until now he has been able to remember stuff.  Pray that he will be able to regain his memory!  It seems like right now it is only short term memory.

Bed Bug Update

Lots and lots of cleaning!  I have spent this whole week cleaning around the house, but mainly in the girls and our room, since that is the places that I have found the bugs.  One night we stayed up till 1 a.m., just so we could remove our box spring mattress that had bed bugs, steamed around the edges of our other mattress that doesn't show any sign of the bugs, steamed the back of our headboard where I found bugs and eggs, washed sheets, dried pillows.  Steven steamed out each of his shoes that were stored under the bed.

I have been a little paranoid or maybe just extra cautious.  Steven started understanding, why I was doing some of the things I was doing after watching and reading about bed bugs.  We change our clothes a lot, clothes are not laid on a bed or an area I found the bugs, washing loads of laundry in hot water, drying clean clothes before wearing them and started to steam clean the vacuum after using it.  Before we took the box springs mattress out I used a sticky lint roller to pick up some bed bugs (super gross), steamed around the edges and where there was signs of them and then used a vacuum to it so we weren't tacking bugs through the rest of our house.  Thankfully, the infestation didn't get out of control before we realized there was a problem.

Each day I have been doing around six loads of laundry and lots of deep cleaning.  Thankfully, I have been able to sleep during the past two nights since not receiving any bites.  God help me get through this time, help me to do this in your strength and not my own.  I pray that bugs will not start hatching before I get to all the laundry I still have left.  Praying that they won't surface in the couch, anywhere downstairs and Taliah's room.  Help me to realize all the spots, they still might be and not to value stuff more than you.  Praying that we will be able to eradicate them from our home forever!

Counting my blessings!

Thank you for bugs that aren't active during the day, when I do most of the cleaning.

Thank you for steam, hot water and dryers.

Thank you for Steven feeling good enough to help me move the box springs mattress to the dumpster.

Thank you for two nights with no bites!




No comments: