Monday, March 12, 2012

1st Chemo Week - Day 1


We went Utah Cancer Specialist at 8:30 this morning and Steven got the IV, put in to his forearm.  Next came the appointment with the nurse.  Steven started chemo at 10:30.  He didn't have any pain during the procedure, but when they would change fluids they would clean out the tube with saline.  Each time that they did that he would have a metallic taste in his mouth.  The nurse described it as sucking on a penny.

He took a couple small naps, and got to cover up with a couple of blankets to keep warm.  Tomorrow I will bring a blanket from home.  He is in a long room with about 15 reclining chairs.  He is not experiencing any side effects.  We were told he would start noticing the side effects toward the end of this week or day 7 to 10, when he has to do a follow up visit.

Steven and I got to talk with Linda, who was in our chemo class.  She has cancer in her throat, so can't eat anything.  It was a little awkward eating next to her, knowing it is hard for her to be around others who are eating.  I was able to help her out by getting a blanket for her and helping her adjust them.  Please pray for her and her husband Gary!  Please pray that God would open the door to talk with her about faith.  It was a little hard when she and I were talking and she said I was to young to become a widow with young kids.  That is the first time someone told me that, so it took me by surprise.  I took it well, and smiled at her, but didn't know what to say.  I think cancer is misunderstood and people think the worst, instead of thinking of the many people who overcome cancer and are living cancer free.

We got to see Tim and Debbie!  Not the best place to hang out, but nice to see familiar faces.  We left around 2:10.

My mother came this week, to help us out!  We received a foam topper for our mattress and snuggly fleece sheets, wow now Steven and I can sleep in comfort.  I will try to update each day this week, since he will be receiving treatment this week Monday - Friday.

No comments: